We weren't even doing damage yet, were just managing Missiles, Evasion, Point Defense, and Dodge.
The math is
- 7 ROLES! Roles are Captain, Pilot, Navigator, Comms-Sensor, Gunner, Engineer, and Boarding. so that's up to 14 rolls per TURN!
- I have to reduce the Enemy Rolls by making them Opposed Rolls if possible. Instead of rolling Evasion and Dodge - Evasive Manuver will just grant a DM+1 for Dodge Actions.
- If a roll altered the map and tokens, it would have been better. I think I will make DM penalty Token markers (up to DM-4)
- Ideally the GM has to only bother with the 3-5 player roles and I will use the Superiority Mechanic in Mneme Variant Combat Rules to keep it Simple for the Other Party. A combination of Opposed Rolls (less rolls) and Superiority where superior numbers just gave a Bonus or Penalty. In the Enhanced Mneme Variant the GM doesn't roll - the Players do all the rolls making it much easier for the GM.
- Reduce the Number of ACtions as much as possible.
- Reactions should have been cleared - do ships have reactions or the crew? So you have a ton of crew doing nothing during combat? Not All can react - Gunners and Pilots can react and ACT, not bad for the lowest PAID crewman.
- Crewman PAy needs to be fixed - it should have been RATINGS instead of roles. 1-6k/mo.
- DEFINITELY removed the EXTRA TURN rule when a party has Initative. We simplified it with a DM+2 to a Single Action Or Saved for a Reaction. This broke down immediately when we moved TWICE, attacked twice, EW and ECM twice etc...
- Thrust Points are working as intended with the 2,000km per hex. This is the best aligned with Ranges and Thrust.
- Encounters should have features - like Asteroids, debris, Solar storms,
- IFF or Ships Beacons are Very Important.
- No Beacon/IFF + Intercept = Hostile. This means you can start firing missiles and weapons as soon as you encounter them.
- No Beacon/IFF but not on Intercept - discretion By Not Intercept this means if the Ship wants to Intercept, there is a number of (2d6x10) Turns/Thrust example 70 turns/ thrust for that ship to Try to Intercept.
- Navigation and Sensor-Comms - Cat and Mouse. Getting as close as possible without being detected is a Navigation Roll vs Sensor Comms. Simplifying Opposed Rolls.
Combat Should Take 30-60 mins to resolve. If its a 60 min combat, every turn should be really exciting - that there are Stakes to every turn.