I was really distracted wanting to know what the layout would be if the ship was blended wing and if it was a hex tube. I got influenced by "The Wind Rises" by Studio Ghibli and the Space X landings so I had to see if I can fit in Fins and Wings for atmospheric Travel.
Lessons are as follows
Lessons are as follows
- Hex Tube or Cylinders are a great shape even for atmospheric flight. Just stick some fins and wings. Handwave the lift assuming high tech composites that can reshape the fins to create lift.
- You can have the wings open up like X-wings as landing struts.
- I wonder how to make rules for 250dtons, adding another Teal Module? Or adding 25dtons?
- A 300dton would be relatively easy to build with a Hex Tube but with wing body it would be really hard. I need to learn to break it down to a Ratio Its easy to scale its hard to check the volume with the 3d-printer tool.
- These are made with a 2800 cubic meter budget or a 200Dton ship. So many ways to create varieties - the swept-back wing, smoother rounded lines, armoring in various points. I can lose days just fiddling with the design.
- Its not hard to imagine the various Hex Tube and Wing Body designs. from 100 to 800dtons would look pretty much the same. the 400 and up would be much bigger and bulkier in dimensions - basically more complicated designs - unlike the 100-400 which are scaled up or down designs.
- Wing or Wedge designs - like the supremacy is an interesting design choice even with the thrust as gravity and no inertia hand wave. The profile allows for more "broadside" weapons for both Tail and Front engagements but presents a much LARGER target. Such a large profile hurtling through space would probably blasting point defense lazers constantly to knock off micrometers Still it would not be odd that such ships would still serve a specialized role. Some Destroyers with this profile would be interesting scenery.
- Some frigate and corvette capital Ships with the ability to land (Vertical Landing) comes to mind, the design begins to get a little more complicated.
- Capital Ships at 1000dtons 15-20k cubic meters and up will probably mostly various styles of Tubes - a difference of Length to Diameter Ratio and a preference for types of tubes: hex, octagonal, pentagonal, cylinder etc... with maybe Hammer-head ends (remembering honorverse) or barbetes. But these are things I probably just need to model and create extrapolations and never go into details.
- A stateroom is BIG, and assuming a 14 cubic meters x 4 = 2.5m elevation and about 50sqm of space (See the life support in orange). A cabin of 2.5m elevation and 5.6 sqm is not that bad if its just a Head, Bed, and belongings. http://www.projectrho.com/public_html/rocket/habmod.php
- The world-building - the life support systems - reminds me of plumbing and the discipline we dont have in our interior construction company (we are not structural). I need a ratio how much this occupies per Capacity it is designed for.
- The spheres don't need to be 2m diameter I forgot sitting we have a smaller profile.
- Next action would be how to make layout of this? Or figure out how to keep it abstract.